Dr. C. Ramasubramanian MBBS, DPM, MD, PhD – Psychiatry
Director, Consultant Psychiatrist
Dr. C. Ramasubramanian (Dr. CRS) brings to his role as the founding member, director and a consultant psychiatrist of Ahana Hospitals, a history of accomplishment and leadership. He is widely recognized for being the principal psychiatrist of modern psychiatric healthcare in Tamilnadu.
His vision of providing the best-in-class psychiatric rehabilitation care within the reach of millions is the genesis of Ms.Chellamuthu Trust and Research Foundation (The largest psychiatric rehabilitation centre in Southern India).
During his consultation and counselling sessions at rehabilitation centre, he found the need for comprehensive psychiatric healthcare unit, Hence, he along with his son Dr. Vikhram Ramasubramanian laid foundation for integrated psychiatric healthcare centre, “Ahana Hospitals” in Madurai.
Dr. C. Ramasubramanian received MBBS from Madurai Medical College, DPM from Madurai Kamaraj University, MD in psychiatry from Madurai Medical College, and PhD in rehabilitation psychiatry. His core area of work is on rehabilitation psychiatry.
- 2002 to present – Principal Investigator, Ahana hospitals, Madurai, Tamilnadu, India
- 2006 to 2008 – HOD, Professor, Institute of Psychiatry, Madurai, Tamilnadu, India
- 2001 to 2006 – Co-ordinator, District (Madurai, Ramnad, Theni and Virudhunagar) Mental Health Program, Tamilnadu, India
- 1984 to 1992 – Tutor, Psychiatry, Madurai Medical College, Govt. Rajaji Hospital, Madurai, Tamilnadu, India.
- Justice V.R. Krishna Iyer Award (2016)
- Dr.K.S.Sanjivi Lifetime Achievement Award (2013)
- Best Social Worker Award (2013)
- Visakha Psychiatric Society Oration Award (2011)
- District Best Doctor Award (2007)
- District Best Doctor Award (2003)
- State Best Doctor Award (1998-99)
Leadership, Associations & Membership:
- State Nodal Officer, Mental Health Programme, Tamil Nadu.
- Expert Advisor, Mental Health Programme, National Rural Health Mission, Tamilnadu.
- Principle Investigator, National Mental Health Survey
- Member, Welfare Board for the disabled, government of Tamilnadu
- Member, Academic Council of NIMHANS, Bangalore
- Member, International Neuropsychiatry Association – Indian Chapter
- Chairperson, Community psychiatry, Indian Psychiatric Society
- Secretary, MANASA- District Mentally Disabled welfare Agency, Madurai
- President, Indian Association for the blind, Madurai
- Founder, M.S. Chellamuthu Trust & Research Foundation (MSCTRF), Madurai