Gaming culture is stronger, more pervasive and more accepted than ever before. So because of all these validation and all these other people are doing the same thing we may not even realize that we have a problem that we play way more than we should, that we only care about playing, ruining the relationships, work, career, studies because of it and that one cannot stop even if they want to.
Gaming becomes life when one has been addicted for a longer period of time is because it fulfills all these needs that life should fulfill, also it does with instant gratification and very obvious achievements like levels.
Gaming can motivate you,
- For coping with daily stressors and escapism – The real world is full of struggle. As we aren’t able to cope with it created a simulation fantasizing our ideal world full of never-ending material happiness
- Online relationships – For the need of socializing
- For Mastery– to get control over something, for recognition, completion, excitement, and challenges; all these things are something we need to have in real life but we don’t, so we get this in a fake version of it
Symptoms to watch out for:
- Impaired control over the extent of gaming – the gamers affected have less control over the amount of time they devote to gaming
- Gaming becomes the central focus in that person’s life and continues despite the occurrence of adverse consequences- For example, problems with academics or turning up for work on time, isolating oneself from family in favor of playing games
- When the gaming is seized the person seems to develop withdrawal symptoms such as irritability, anxiety and the gamer becomes violent during such circumstances
This indicates that internet gaming addiction must be taken seriously as they can affect the individual negatively in various ways.
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) and the ICD-11 (a diagnostic manual for psychiatric disorders) have now officially recognized Internet Gaming Disorders as a condition that requires consideration by clinicians and researchers.
Also, the studies using Neuro Imaging methods reveal that the Internet Gaming Addiction appears Equal to Substance-Related Addictions. It is also considered to be a sign of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
Gaming addiction actually affects the brain structure causing the negative consequences leading to long-term Depression.
The Negative Consequences are:
- Sacrificing basic needs such as food, sleep and real-life relationships
- Lack of attention
- Dysfunctional coping
- Problems with verbal memory
- Low self-esteem
A WAY OUT ???
It is very important as it is a very serious and unrecognized thing. One might be addicted and wouldn’t even know it due to lack of knowledge about the subject.
We need to act to curb the gaming addiction. Treatments and therapy are available for the one who is affected by gaming disorder but admission may be required in case of severe conditions.
BECAUSE IN THE END, we do need material possessions for enhancing our lives but not at the cost of our happiness and relationships.
The fact remains that a world without these video games did exist and it was simple, real and beautiful.
The 21st-century generation needs to know about the so-called real world which their predecessors enjoyed in their youth.
It is time for the present generation – which is vibrant, energetic and intelligent – to be more proactive, to make the most of life when there’s time and reap benefits from it.